2 New Street Chambers Re-roofing Project
2 New Street Chambers was built around 1750 and is one of the only remaining traditional Barrister’s Chambers in the conservation area. Grant funding of £90k towards £120k worth of works has helped to ensure it continues to operate.
There were significant problems with the roof structure and there was water ingress into the building. The original Swithland slates were mostly delaminated and the chimneys were leaning and bulging. As the locally sourced Swithland slate is no longer readily available, a suitable Welsh alternative was found. The slate was hand cut to give a similar texture. The leaning chimneys were carefully taken down and rebuilt using the same bricks and pots. Some additional repairs were undertaken to the doorway surround.
The works were undertaken during the Summer and Autumn of 2019.
The main contractor was Stone Edge Limited.
2 New Street Chambers Gallery
New Street History
Read a complete history of the building by Andrew Harper, Barrister at 2 New Street Chambers.
Hear the voices of those who worked in the legal profession in the Greyfriars area.
Watch the video to find out about 2 New Street’s spooky past.